My Blog List

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Black History Month

When I was a little girl, I once asked my mother why African Americans didn't fight in any of America's wars until World War II.  I came to this conclusion because my history books did not mention the contributions of any African Americans during any of our wars.  And the only reason I knew that African Americans did fight in WWII was because of my dad, his brothers, and my mother's brothers.  She was appalled by my question.  I mention this thought because of the Black History month documentary titled, "Love of Liberty/Black Patriots."  This is the story of the contribution of African American soldiers for America's liberty beginning with Crispus Attucks at the Boston Massacre through the current wars of today.

I admire those who came before me because they were willing to make the ultimate sacrifice for this country when they were treated poorly.  Many returned home from wars to be subjected to Jim Crow laws.  Some were even lynched for being too "uppity."  Tom Brokaw called the generation of Americans who weathered the Depression and fought in WWII, the "Greatest Generation."  The sacrifices that African American soldiers endured to prove that African Americans deserved the rights promised to all Americans in the constitution, truly made them part of America's "Greatest Generation."

1 comment:

  1. beautiful post. i am of the opinion that black history should be celebrated year round. because we are always making history

    ReplyDelete